Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Boston: Day 2

We started off Sunday with a Freedom Trail tour. There were two main options. One was the guides that dress up like people from the revolutionary time period and lead you around a big chunk of the trail ($12 per person). The second was the national park service which offered free tours of nearly the same pieces of the Freedom Trail for free (OK...they asked for a small donation, but it wasn't required).

Ranger Smith was our guide. It was obvious that he was passionate about the history of the city and the role it and its people played in the birth of our nation. He led us around Fanuil Hall, the Old State House, the Old South Meeting House, Paul Revere's House, the Old North Church (one if by land, two if by sea), and several other sites. He was a great guide. Very informative. I would recommend this tour.

Ranger Smith

Fanuil Hall (and Samuel Adams)

Paul Revere's House

The tour ended in Little Italy, so we stopped at a local restaurant and had lunch. We split lobster ravioli and a chicken panini sandwich. Very good eats. Then we stopped by the famous Mike's Pastry for dessert. So many choices, but we ended up with the Tiramisu.

The tour just took us by Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church. So went back and toured the house, then walked up to the church and strolled inside. Then up Copp's hill to the burial ground. Markers in the cemetery went back into the 1600s. It was amazing how well all the stones were preserved.

Old North Church

Headstone at Copp's Hill

Storm clouds started to roll in, but we trekked on. Across the Charles River to visit the USS Constitution, or "Old Ironsides." This ship is the oldest commissioned war ship that is still afloat and seaworthy. It was built in the late 1700s and won many battles. It was a true treasure touring the ship and hearing about what naval life was like 200 years ago. It was full of cannons and the lower deck ceilings were so low that you had to bend over while you walked.

Our next stop was the Bunker Hill Monument. But just as we arrived, the thunder and lightening started, so the monument was closed and we were unable to climb the 294 steps to the top. We caught the T back into town. At that point it had stopped storming, so we walked through Boston Common, then to a little restaurant called Fajitas & Ritas. Kristin had fajitas, and I the BBQ beef brisket. The food was fabulous, as were the raspberry and papaya margaritas.


Basil said...

Glad to see you guys got to enjoy our city's fine history, but I can't believe you went to Mike's and didn't get a cannoli!!

Chito Peppler said...

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time. Thanks for the post.

Just came back from Boston and had some good run: